Konsole in English

Kurt Sholly KSholly at pubint.com
Tue Oct 27 14:28:10 GMT 2009

Do you know how to get off of this email list??????

             Dotan Cohen
             <dotancohen at gmail
                                       kde at mail.kde.org
             10/27/2009 09:26                                           cc
             AM
                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: [kde] Konsole in English
             Please respond to
             kde at mail.kde.org

> You appear to have snipped out:
>
> "Second, if you do so (either way), it will affect the whole KDE session
> for that user."
>
> That is why it won't work (or might not work).  But, it doesn't explain
> why that is (or might be) true.
>
> If you read the 'Fine Man Page',
>
> "When bash is invoked as an interactive login shell, or as a
> non-interactive shell with the --login option, it first reads and
> executes commands from the file /etc/profile, if that file exists. After
> reading that file, it looks for ~/.bash_profile, ~/.bash_login, and
> ~/.profile, in that order, and reads and executes commands from the
> first one that exists and is readable."
>
> "When an interactive shell that is not a login shell is started, bash
> reads and executes commands from ~/.bashrc, if that file exists."
>
> You would think that it should work.  However, it is also common
> practice for ".bash_profile" to change that.
>
> Fedora 10 "/etc/skel/.bash_profile" (the default):
>
> ------8<------8<------8<------8<------8<------8<------8<------8<------
>
> # .bash_profile
>
> # Get the aliases and functions
> if [ -f ~/.bashrc ]; then
>        . ~/.bashrc
> fi
>
> # User specific environment and startup programs
>
> PATH=$PATH:$HOME/bin
>
> export PATH
>
> ------8<------8<------8<------8<------8<------8<------8<------8<------
>
> It is this that would make it not work.  Now it is possible that your
> distro doesn't have the code that sources ".bashrc" from
> ".bash_profile", but I don't like to suggest that people should make
> such changes to their distros.  The script will work for everyone, and
> it is really the better way to do it since changing environment
> variables in ".bashrc" can cause problems whether or not your distro
> does this.

I have had lots of problems when fiddling with the language settings
in the dofiles, the effects seem to appear in places that I did not
expect them (like Thunderbird). So I am glad for this Konsole-specific
solution.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com