Kiosktool for KDE4

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Tue Oct 27 11:23:25 GMT 2009

Kevin Krammer posted on Tue, 27 Oct 2009 10:42:23 +0100 as excerpted:

> On Tuesday, 2009-10-27, Dotan Cohen wrote:
>> Will Kiosktool be available for KDE4? Is there an altternative that one
>> could use today? Thanks.
>
> I am not sure but I think that at least at this moment there is nobody
> working on it.
> I heard it mentioned several times and people agree that it is an
> important tool, however nobody so far has had the time to actually do
> something about it (former maintainer busy with non-KDE work, current
> KDE contributors busy with their usual KDE work, no new developer
> interested in or aware of the application).
>
> I am pretty sure that at some point there will be a KDE4 version or an
> equivalent since Kiosk is still part of the framework. My guess is that
> using the KDE3 variant should still work but I don't have any hard facts
> on that.

I /think/ I saw some mention of someone working on that again.  Maybe it
was ASegio's blog?  Something.  Wherever it was, it read like the author
thought it wasn't going to be as difficult this time as it was last,
because the framework is better setup, but it's definitely something
that's not going to be ready for some time.  It (again) read to me like
the kde 4.5 timeframe, as they're just getting started and while they
might have something by 4.4, there's no way it'll be stable by then.  So
4.5 would be the prediction.

Yet another way 4.5 seems to be the kde4 magic number that will finally
bring it into rough feature parity as well as maturity and polish, as 3.5
was.  FWIW, 4.5 should be 6 months after 4.4, which is slated for
February, so we're looking at about August of next year (2010).