No printers in kde4 - lockup of printerconfig

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Tue Oct 27 11:13:54 GMT 2009

richard terry posted on Tue, 27 Oct 2009 21:45:54 +1100 as excerpted:

> Not sure where to head with this one.
>
> when I go to the printer configuration icon click > locks up. As I don't
> know the name of the printer app I can't run it from a terminal to see
> what is happening or run it as root.
>
> Any advice as to where to start would be appreciated.

Kde4's printer stuff isn't upto kde3's standards yet anyway.  4.4, in
February, should be getting there, and when qt-4.7 ships and with a kde
built against it, things should be getting MUCH better once again.

Meanwhile, however, you may need to use the normal CUPS configuration
system (specifics likely vary by distribution), since that's what most
stuff uses for the printing backend, these days.

Once the backend is setup correctly, maybe it won't crash anymore, or if
it does, at least perhaps you can print directly, without invoking the
kde print configuration.