[Fwd: [FOLLOW UP] Re: How to make a tarball?]

James Tyrer jrtyrer at earthlink.net
Sun Oct 25 22:34:46 GMT 2009

This gets worse: see below!

> Regarding the: "Compress -> Here":
>
> Although this is a bug and should be deleted, it is in the list of
> "Services" in the Konqueror KCM so you can simply turn it off. :-)
>
> You can fix the other issues by editing the file:
>
> $KDEDIR/share/kde4/services/ServiceMenus/ark_addtoservicemenu.desktop
>
> Please note that the command for "Here" is:
>
> 	Exec=ark --changetofirstpath --add --autofilename tar.gz %F
>
> and that the command for the misnamed: "As ZIP/TAR Archive" is:
>
> 	Exec=ark --changetofirstpath --add --autofilename tar.gz %F
>
> What am I missing here -- they look identical to me.  I am not allowed
> to make any derogatory statements, so I can only ask you to draw your
> own conclusions.
>
> If you want to add the other commands which are missing, you can add
> them to this file.

Haven't finished with TAR-BZIP2 yet, but I think that I have found the
problem.

Could I ask that someone please check their installation from a distro
and see if you have the command lines as listed above?  The reason that
I ask is that I wonder if your distro might have fixed the problem.

I found that if I removed: "--changetofirstpath " that it then works
correctly and I get a TAR file that doesn't start with: "/../.." and
actually starts with the directory displayed in Konqueror where I used
the Ark service -- which is the expected result.

It is things like this that really make we wonder.

--
James Tyrer

Linux (mostly) From Scratch

--