Which Desktop Appearance Settings?

Nikos Chantziaras realnc at arcor.de
Wed Oct 21 09:09:03 BST 2009

On 10/21/2009 10:39 AM, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> 2009/10/21 Nikos Chantziaras<realnc at arcor.de>:
>> On 10/21/2009 10:10 AM, Dotan Cohen wrote:
>>> When changing the clock appearance in System Settings, the user gets
>>> """
>>> To change your desktop theme to "(Customized)", open
>>>    the desktop Appearance Settings and select "(Customized)" from the droplist
>>> """
>>>
>>> When I open Desktop Appearance, I cannot find the mentioned dropdown box.
>>>
>>> Also, why doesn't this change take place automatically?
>>
>> System Settings->Advanced->Desktop Theme Details
>>

> Well, that one _does_ change automatically, so why the warning message?
>
> However, when I close then reopen the component, the it has changes
> back to the "Tragedy" theme. No matter what I do, it will not stay
> "customized'. Can you confirm this?

That's the "non intuitive" part ;)

That component isn't there to select what's currently active.  It's only
to configure the settings of the theme you select in the Desktop Settings.

Example:

First, go to the "Advanced->Desktop Theme Details" settings, select
"Customized", and configure the clock to use Oxygen and hit "Apply".
Nothing gets changed on the desktop; this is intended.

Now, right click on the desktop and select "Desktop Settings".  There,
in the "Theme" drop-down menu, select "(Customized)".  *Now* the clock
will change to Oxygen.

Not very intuitive, is it :P