Poor composting performance in KDE 4.3

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Thu Oct 15 23:56:43 BST 2009

> Do I understand correctly that you have the same versions of the various
> X packages on both systems?

That is a reasonable assumption, both machines were installed from the
same Kubuntu 9.04 disc. However, neither is a clone of the other, I
performed fresh installs on both machines and let the Kubuntu
installer decide what to configure.

> If so, it is probably a configuration issue.

I see.

> But, you might wind to check as see which version of Xorg-Server and XCB
> you have installed.  XCB should be 1.4; servers less than 1.6.2 don't
> seem to do effects too well.

$ aptitude show xserver-xorg
Package: xserver-xorg
State: installed
Automatically installed: no
Version: 1:7.4~5ubuntu18

$ aptitude show xcb
Package: xcb
State: not installed

I will install it and report back after a system restart.

> Then make sure that the correct driver is specified.  The HD 3200 is
> listed on the "radeon" man page so that would be the driver to use
> unless you want to experiment with the new "radeonhd" driver.

Now that xorg does not list the driver, how does one know which driver
he is using? Kubuntu 9.04

> How do you, or do you need to set the amount of memory used for the
> frame buffer?  I think that there is a default.

I have never touched that.

> I find that there are recent updates to libdrm (2.4.15) and
> xf86-video-ati (6.12.4) that might be a bug fix for your problem.
>
> And be sure that your xorg.conf file has:
>
>     Option             "AccelMethod" "EXA"
>
> in the Device section since according to the fine man page, XXA will not
> work with an RS780 chip.

Actually, there is no device section! Bulletproof X!

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il