Poor composting performance in KDE 4.3

Nikos Chantziaras realnc at arcor.de
Thu Oct 15 23:29:07 BST 2009

On 10/15/2009 10:01 PM, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> The wife's desktop is running KDE 4.3 on a fairly decent homebuilt
> machine: 2 gHz dual-core processor, 2 GB RAM, ATI graphics:
> $ lspci | grep ati
> 00:18.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8
> [Athlon64/Opteron] HyperTransport Technology Configuration
> 01:05.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon HD 3200 Graphics
>
> The composting effects are terribly slow, and many effects (Wobby
> Windows, Cover Switch) refuse to start. I have tried googling KDE4
> composting problems, but all I find are complaints and no solutions.
> Where can I start troubleshooting? The distro is Kubuntu 9.04, same as
> I run on my daily driver laptop with inferior hardware and no
> problems.
>
> Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Which drivers are you using?  If you use AMD Catalyst (Ubuntu calls them
"restricted"), you need to make sure you run the latest version, 9.10
Ubuntu beta:

   http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NzUxNA

Old version have plenty of bugs with compositing.

Also, some things are going to be slow regardless (window maximizing and
resizing) unless you patch your X.Org server:

   http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18807

since the driver doesn't accelerate those operations correctly.