How to make a tarball?

James Tyrer jrtyrer at earthlink.net
Tue Oct 13 21:33:01 BST 2009

Patrick Nagel wrote:
> Hi James,
>
> On 2009-10-12 20:05 UTC James Tyrer wrote:
>> I have a folder that I would like to convert to a TAR.GZ file.
>>
>> How do I do this with KDE-4.3.2?  I am using Konqueror as my file
>> manager, but I could use Dolphin if that is necessary.
>
> When I right-click on a directory or (a selection of multiple)
> file(s), I have a 'Compress' sub-menu in which I can choose 'As
> ZIP/TAR Archive',

Note the missing 'G'; should be "GZIP/TAR" or "GZ/TAR" or "TAR.GZ".
And, "Here" is redundant and an option for TAR.BZ is missing as well as
that new ZIP format (which I did install).

> which creates a tar.gz archive. I think you have to
> have Ark installed for this to work.

Have you tried this?  Did it work.

When I click that on the directory "Page-323", I get this file which is
nor correct and can not be un-tarred:

http://home.earthlink.net/~tyrerj/kde/KDE-4/Page-323.tar.gz

yet another small thing that doesn't work?

--
James Tyrer

Linux (mostly) From Scratch