Hangover from kde 3.5 in kde4 when launching file manager after plugging in a SSC card

Basil Fowler b.j.fowler at chanzy.eclipse.co.uk
Sun Nov 29 10:03:29 GMT 2009

On Saturday 28 Nov 2009 19:04:06 James Tyrer wrote:

> If you previously installed OpenOffice, the problem is probably that you
> still have a file in: ".../share/mimelnk/".  This would not be in your
> "$HOME/.kde4/" directory since it is not a KDE app.  You should look for
> the 'desktop' file in:
>
> 	/usr/share/mimelnk/application/
> 	$HOME/.local/share/mimelnk/application/
>
> and remove the obsolete 'desktop' files for OpenOffice.

When I upgraded, I installed onto a clean disk. I then transferred all the
/home directories from the old installation to the new, so as to keep all the
settings for kmail, flightgear u.v.a.

I looked through the directory $HOME/.local/share/applications and found a
whole load of obsolete desktop files. I removed the files referring to
OpenOffice.org and retried. This time, the system complained that it could not
find Xine! I then removed the entire contents of that directory, and now the
Dolphin file manger opens as required.

Thank you for your help.

Basil Fowler