the panel dictionary and the fancy tasks

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Wed Nov 25 20:37:35 GMT 2009

xPol posted on Wed, 25 Nov 2009 21:13:35 +0100 as excerpted:

> I am using kde 4.3.3.
> I have discovered that the widget release number is reported in the 'add
> widget' list. The 'panel dictionary' (the one that i cannot remove) is
> 0.3.1

Hmm...  The dictionary I have (icon is a book with ABC on it, name simply
"Dictionary") is Version 1.0.  The bug report address is the standard
panel-devel at kde.org, author, "The Plasma Team", so it's apparently
shipped with kde 4.3.3 now.  querying my package manager reveals a
plasma_engine_dict.so and a plasma-dataengine-dict.desktop, both part of
the kde-base/plasma-workspace-4.3.3 package (Gentoo), so that would
appear to be where it's from.

You mentioned a possible reboot.  Have you tried simply quitting kde (to
the text virtual terminal) and restarting it?  That /should/ give the
libraries a chance to be dumped from memory and reload.  It's obvious
you're either talking about a different plasmoid, or have an older
version.  If it's the latter, perhaps you updated kde from an older
version but you have a mix of the old and new libraries running.  Or, it
could be that whatever package you have with that plasmoid in it didn't
update, for some reason.

If it's an entirely different plasmoid, maybe something off of kde-look,
and a kde-restart and/or reboot doesn't help, check for an update and/or
recompile the plasmoid.  While you're checking for an update, you can see
if there's any comments about it on the kde-look page.  Maybe someone
else has an answer, or at least has the same problem, thus confirming
it's not just you.