Is there a howto on essentials.

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Mon Nov 23 12:25:24 GMT 2009

On Sunday, 2009-11-22, Draciron Smith wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 22, 2009 at 10:34 AM, Kevin Krammer <kevin.krammer at gmx.at>
wrote:
> > On Sunday, 2009-11-22, Draciron Smith wrote:
> > Strange, sounds like Firefox wasn't installed properly. Part of its
> > installation should have copied the menu entry file into one of the
> > appropriate directories (usually /usr/share/applications).
>
> Apparently not but I've since installed a newer version with a tarball
> and it doesn't find that one either. With something as outward facing
> as Firefox I don't wait for updates. I install soon as patches are
> availible on critical vulnerabilities.  For major jumps in version I
> always keep two versions around.

Check whether the tarball has a .desktop file somewhere.
You can put that into a global directory, e.g. /usr/share/applications or
/usr/local/share/applications or a user local one, e.g.
$HOME/.local/share/applications.

Launcher menu entries are are basically standardized between desktop
environments, i.e. the same files are used by KDE, GNOME, LXDE; XFCE, etc. to
build launcher menu contents.

> >> . I gotta
> >> seriously question the logic in locking users ourt of adding apps. It
> >> used too be quite simple. You right clicked, pasted or browsed the app
> >> command line in. You picked an icon and away you went.
> >
> > That still works with the quick launcher as far as I can tell.
>
> Nope I can add applets which = menu items by drag an drop or I can add
> widgits. Not apps.

I am on KDE 4.3.2 and when I right click the quick launcher applet/widget, I
get a menu choice of "Add Icon" (could actually be named differently,
backtranslating from a German localization here).

Cheers,
Kevin
KDE user support, developer mentoring