Adding Widgets

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Sun Nov 22 10:09:26 GMT 2009

On Saturday 21 November 2009 20:17:12 Stephen P. Molnar wrote:
> On 11/21/2009 03:06 PM, James Tyrer wrote:
> > Stephen P. Molnar wrote:
> >> KDE 4.3.1/OpenSuSE 11.2.
> >>
> >> How does one go about adding non-KDE widgets to the task bar, as was the
> >> case in kde 3.x?
> >
> > We have a semantics problem here.  KDE-3 had a TaskBar which is now
> > called the TaskManager.  But, you can't add widgets to it.  I presume
> > that you are using 'task bar' as it is used for MS-Windows.  IIUC, it
> > means Panel.  If there is a 'desktop' file for the applet (widget) you
> > should be able to simply drag that 'desktop' to the Panel after you
> > "Unlock Widgets".
>
> Yoiu're correct, as far as a semantics problem is concerned.
>
> The question becomes one of how do I add an applet to the desktop?
>
> Your help is much appreciated.

The answer might differ according to what kind of 'applet' you are trying to
add.  Also, I thought you originally said you wanted to add it to the panel,
but now you say to the desktop.  That also could be different.  While James is
trying to help you, he's not a thought reader ;-)

Anne
--
KDE Community Working Group