Is there a howto on essentials.

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Thu Nov 19 16:57:47 GMT 2009

Anne Wilson posted on Thu, 19 Nov 2009 11:34:50 +0000 as excerpted:

> On Thursday 19 November 2009 10:38:41 spir wrote:
>> Anyway, I can hardly guess what the locked status is supposed to be
>> useful
>>  for, because it's hard to change a panel's composition unwillingly.
>>
> I thought so too, but then someone pointed out to me that a child with a
> good sense of curiosity can do amazing things :-)

LOL!  So true!  And a good reason for a lock-widgets option.  (In fact,
for this case, maybe it ought to require typing in one's password or
something.)

Meanwhile, the lock-widgets thing is global, including the desktop
widgets as well.  There's a bit more of a reason for it there.  Just
turning off the floating toolboxes that appear beside desktop widgets
when you go over them is enough on its own, here, as they can get quite
annoying over time in "just use it" mode, but it's conceivable that
someone might accidentally click on the delete button in that toolbox as
well, and the lock-widgets button eliminates that possibility.

Also, while resizing is a bit difficult to do accidentally, moving isn't
so difficult, as at least some desktop widgets let you click anywhere on
them and drag.  That could be annoying if you've just spent a lot of time
lining things up just so.

Oh, and a change introduced with 4.3, I believe, the "cashew" on a panel
disappears in locked mode.  The desktop cashew still remains, but it's a
lot less obtrusive than it used to be, and it fades to B&W unless the
mouse is over it.  Getting rid of that visual clutter on the panels is
nice.  (I don't mind either way on the desktop/activity cashew,
especially now that it's a bit smaller and fades out, but it's a big
enough issue for some people that one of the most popular plasmoids on
kde-look is the cashew-buster.)

So there's reasons for the lock-widgets option, tho I agree, most of them
apply more directly to the desktop activities than to the panels.  But as
I said, disappearing the panel cashews is a BIG deal for some people.  If
they're otherwise going to go to all the trouble to download and install
a plasmoid to do it, they'll certainly not consider the lock/unlock
option a problem.