Is there a howto on essentials.

James Tyrer jrtyrer at earthlink.net
Wed Nov 18 18:48:56 GMT 2009

Kevin Krammer wrote:
> On Wednesday, 2009-11-18, Draciron Smith wrote:
>
>> Ways people have found to get around things
>> like not being able to add an app, or configure the desktops to show
>> ONLY the apps on that destop.
>
> Not able to add an app where to?

I presume to KickOff.  I had problems with early versions.  Not sure
what the problem was, but it appeared that the menu wouldn't update.  I
tried using KAppFinder to add some X utilities and it simply didn't
work.  I found that I had to add /usr/share to the XDG_DATA_DIRS path --
thought that it was the default.  And now they are there without adding
them.  But, I can't add them to the Panel.  Also, although they work
fine in KickOff, they do not work in Lancelot Launcher.  So, there are
problems.

> And of course it is possible to only show the applications of the current
> desktop in the taskbar.
> It is one of the options in the taskbar's configuration dialog, which as usual
> can be opened through the taskbar's context menu.

This menu can be hard to find in some circumstances.  Specifically, you
have to click on a blank part of Task Manager which doesn't always
exist.  I have had this problem.  It would be nice if all of these KCMs
were accessible in System Settings.

--
James Tyrer

Linux (mostly) From Scratch