some questions & more questions

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Tue Nov 17 15:15:13 GMT 2009

> 1. help
> The help system does not match at all what I actually find in kde. Probably outdated? Can someone confirm? Switched to english, same issue.

Can you be specific about what doesn't match? Mention exactly which
version of KDE you are using, and from where you opened the Help.
Thanks.

> 2. language
> After switching to english in system settings, and rebooting, many things still appear in precious language (fr); and some texts bits suddenly are in catalan and even a few in german, too;-) (eg in kate).
> This actually shows how incredibly smart kde design is, for these languages are precisely the ones I can understand at best! I really wonder about the AI algorithm behind such successful guesses.

Maybe you changed languages at the application level? That would
explain the languages that you understand being those shown. In each
application try Help -> Change Language (or similar, translated from
Hebrew).

> 3. kickoff modif + size
> Is it possible to modify kickoff from inside (eg renaming or moving an entry)? Right click brings nothing. Is it possible to let kickoff "remember" its size (so that favorites and main app menus are all visible)? presently, it resizes automatically to ~ half screen hight.

Try the Lancelot menu (as a Plasma widget). It does what you ask for.
I actually install that as the menu for all users' KDE desktops.

> 4. kickoff config save/restore
> These a strange and very naughty bug (on my system) in kickoff config utility: restoring previous state after an error actually resets the original default menu (even if saved 10 times in between). So that all changes from installation are lost & have to be remade from scratch. Very bad --it's a penible job.
> (Don't reply it's a "feature", or I will myself reply you speak like... ;-)
> (By the way, I couldn't apply to kde's bug tracker. Tried twice, but never got to enter a password, nore received any by mail.)

It is no longer Kicker, the desktop and panel are Plasma. It is not
just a new name, it is new code from the ground up. Try logging out
after saving your changes. Maybe when you recover from a crash an old
session is being restored. Other than that, I really don't know.

> So, can somenone tell me where the config is saved (there is no possibility to define it, the save button does not pop any menu), so that I have a chance to backup my config. I intend to copy-save the default one for if ever, and replace it by my own settings.

It should be somewhere in ~/.kde, try grepping that directory for the
most recently changed file after making the change. Let me know if you
find it.

> 5. amarok messes up files & folders
> When trying to play an album, another one is played instead. Feedback text shows the name of the album/folder I asked for, and the title of the song/file actually played.
> Minirok never plays the album I ask for, instead always the first songs of my collection, in alphabetic order.

I cannot reproduce this. Are all the files on the local system?

> 6. place icons on control panels
> Is it possible to drag/place icons on a control panel? How can one chose the place of or move icons once they are there (eg sent from kickoff)? Is there a control panel layout utility? Tried all what I could imagine without any success.

What control panel? I do not understand what you mean by "control panel".

> 7. ATI Radeon
> Intended to activate the proprietary driver for my ATI radeon video card, but the setup menu does not show any. Is it now automatic? Or is there now a free driver for it? There used to be an entry in previous versions of ubuntu.

You need to ask your distro about this one.

> 8. num lock
> ... is again lost at startup (while properly set in BIOS). Had the same issue is several ubuntu versions some time ago, then worked fine with 9.04. Couldn't find any setting for that in kde.

Again, ask the distro. I use Kubuntu and cannot reproduce the issue
(it works for me).

> 9. power off
> Clicking on any "switch off" icon, or activating it from  menu, actually switches off the computer at once without popping any choice (restart, etc...), while settings seem ok as far as I understand the doc (checked both "confirm..." and "options").
> Also, this action sometimes freezes the system, need to to brutally hardware-power off.

It shuts down, or locks up? Are you sure that your user is in sudoers?

> 10. "activate by simple click"
> Sorry for the trivial issue: cannot find this setting in kde.

Single click, maybe? I'm not on the KDE 4 machine right now, I will
answer you later when I get to that machine.

> 11. docs do not appear on the desktop -- mounting issue
> Docs I save on the desktop never appear there. Have to find them through Dolphin.

You may need to enable the Desktop Folder.

> Also, about dolphin, external devices randomly show or not, sometimes like if empty or with their actual content. Do you have any hint about this behaviour (really annoying when producing or restoring backup? I have to try several times, especially with CDs.)

Sounds like mounting problems to me. Can you access the device in
other (non-kde) file managers / konsole?

> 12. help search
> Does not even try to work (button is "drabbed").
>
> 13. save whole config
> Is there a way to save the whole kde config, so that I can restore it all after a total system installation (because my filesystem is now a real mess and I haven't enough space (*) where needed -- either I will reinstall kubuntu from scratch or move to PCBSD).

Backup ~/.kde however that will not backup the Dolphin folder preferences.

> (*) Trying to update to kubuntu 9.10 failed after about half an hour with "not enough space free" (why isn't free space checked from start?). I have ~ 3GB free in /, which is far enough, I guess. Do you have any idea? Didn't try again until ow because of the waiting time.

File a bug with Ubuntu.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com