Do you watch TV with Kaffeine?

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Sat Nov 7 10:28:52 GMT 2009

On Saturday 07 November 2009 08:09:45 Duncan wrote:
> HOWEVER, there IS an alternative, an an EXTREMELY good one at that.
> It's called smplayer.  smplayer is qt4 based, as is kde4, so other than
> switching from the xine-lib dependencies of kaffeine to the mplayer
> dependencies of smplayer (and kde4 uses both, xine-lib as a phonon/sound
> backend, and mplayer for mplayerthumbs, the kdemultimedia package that
> kde4 uses to generate video thumbnails), there's very few additional
> dependencies needed.
>
> And smplayer has all those fancy control features that make kaffeine what
> it was on kde3.  In fact, it has at least one I always wished kaffeine
> had but it didn't, single-frame advance.  This is on the general computer
> video side, at least.  I don't have a TV card, so I can't personally
> verify comparability of features there, but it does seem to have basic
> controls for it, at least, and I've no reason to believe that would be
> inferior to its general computer based video controls, hardware
> permitting, of course.

SMPlayer has its own page, at http://userbase.kde.org/SMPlayer.  If you think
that any features are missing from the page, please edit it.

While we are on the subject, I don't do much video stuff.  There are several
links from http://userbase.kde.org/Applications/Multimedia that are related to
mplayer.  If you (or anyone else) would be willing to contribute to those
pages I'd be delighted.  You don't even have to learn the syntax if you don't
want to.  I'm always willing to accept text and screenshots by email for
inclusion in userbase.

Anne
--
KDE Community Working Group