Ripping CDs

James Tyrer jrtyrer at earthlink.net
Mon Nov 2 20:58:34 GMT 2009

Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Monday 02 November 2009 09:07:08 James Tyrer wrote:
>> Anne Wilson wrote:
>>> No configuration is required to make this work, so I assume that
>>> it is some change you have already made to your system that is
>>> stopping it working.
>> HAL and D-Bus will not run without configuration.  I think that you
>>  will find that if you remove: "/etc/dbus-1" & "/etc/hal" that this
>>  feature, as well as some other things, will no longer work.
>>
> Now why would I do that?
>
>> The problem is in all probability not one of commission, but one of
>>  omission.  This probably doesn't work because of something that I
>> need to add to my system.  IAC, the question remains: what is
>> necessary for the "audiocd" KIOslave to work -- where is the
>> documentation for that?
>>
> Try techbase.  It's not a user question.

Certainly is.  Users have things which don't work correctly.  Telling
them to consult nonexistent documentation isn't going to help.

As Duncan points out, we have reached the MS-Windows problem with Linux.
  This is not a good thing.

> The fact that so many things don't work on your system that do work
> on the distros used by most of us suggests that you are making
> assumptions in setting up your system that are incorrect.

Or perhaps there are a lot of bugs that the binary distros have found
fixes for.

Or perhaps KDE-4.3 is so brittle that if you try to configure it that
things start breaking right and left.

I see some of the issues being caused by developers making assumptions
on how things are installed rather than using the actual way that things
are installed.

> At least techbase should point you towards things to check.

Who do you think wrote this:

http://techbase.kde.org/Getting_Started/Build/KDE4.x

So, where would you suggest that I look in TechBase?

> Threads like this are not helpful to ordinary users of distros, and
> that's what user lists are meant to be about.

OK, then start a list for the DISTROs: Gentoo & LFS.

--
James Tyrer

Linux (mostly) From Scratch