Set centralized policies for KDE

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Mon Nov 2 12:32:49 GMT 2009

On Sunday, 2009-11-01, Andreas Moroder wrote:
> Hello,
>
> is there something like ntconfig.pol or Active Directory to centralize the
>  policies for KDE desktop users in big networks ?

KDE's config is based on a concept similar to the $PATH search, i.e. when an
applications looks for a specific setting, KDE's config framework will walk
through a list of occurences of this setting.

Usually the one "closest" to the user is taken, e.g. if present in the user's
config file, *unless* it has been restricted "further away".
That's called the Kiosk framework [1].

So, if for example, the hierachy consists of the distribution's config as the
top, adjusted by company wide and/or group wide restrictions followed by the
users' own config files (e.g. being mounted as a network shared), any setting
locked down at the medium level will be used as configured there, anything
else will be taken from the top level unless overwritten by the users
themselves.

Cheers,
Kevin

P.S: As far as I know it is currently based on this INI-style files, but I
haven't tracked any work in that area so I have unfortunately no idea whether
a config server based KDE config backend exists or is being worked on.

[1] http://techbase.kde.org/KDE_System_Administration/Kiosk/Introduction

There is a mailing list for it as well, kde-kiosk, but it seems to be not very
active either.

KDE user support, developer mentoring