Moving printer configuration from KDE 3 to KDE 4.

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Wed May 13 14:14:51 BST 2009

Dotan Cohen wrote:
>> Not knowing anything about this .... :
>>
>> I don't think that KDE-4 needs to find your network printer.  My best
>> guess is that CUPS needs to find your network printer.
>>

> ‏Yes, that is the conclusion that I have come to. I did not realize
> this at the beginning of the thread.
>
>> Are you using DHCP?
>
> Yes, as assigned by the router.

Then you would need to the DHClient on your computer.

You can test to see if this is working.  Open a Konsole and:

	su -
	{enter root password}}
	kill `pidof dhclient`
	dhclient

IIUC, this should include the IP addresses on your network in the output.

Then your should be able to "Add Printer" in the web interface at:

	http://localhost:631/admin/

Using the network address:

	socket:<IP_address>

>>  Does it find your network printer?
>>

> How would I know that? How can I search for it?

In a browser:

http://localhost:631/admin?op=find-new-printers

>> Does the CUPS web page setup find your network printer?
>>

> The CUPS web page setup does not have a search function. I enter
> configuration for what I _think_ it should be, but I cannot seem to
> get it right.

IIUC, it should be:

socket://192.168.0.1

--