KDE menus (Lancelot, Kmenu, Krunner) not respecting PATH?

Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. bss at iguanasuicide.net
Fri May 8 02:22:52 BST 2009

In <4A036DD4.5000702 at acm.org>, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
>But, why not
>just do it the correct way.  If you have the system set up correctly,
>there is no need to check the PATH.

The correct way is for only bash login processes to read ~/.bash_profile, and
X login processes to read some other file.  An X login process should never
read .bash_profile.[1]  A zsh login process doesn't, nor does a tcsh login
process.  I'm down with X or Xsessions in general running a ~/.xprofile, but
(for me) it would be quite a different beast.

In any case, you *still* need to check the path because /etc/profile could add
~/bin to the PATH.

You can disagree, but you are wrong based on my experience and reading of the
relevant documentation.  You won't change my mind unless you can point me at
additional documentation.
bss at iguanasuicide.net                   ((_/)o o(\_))

[1]  If for no other reason, because an generic Xsession script should not
depend on being run with bash or being able to invoke bash.