Moving printer configuration from KDE 3 to KDE 4.

Peter Lewis lewisp at avex.co.uk
Wed May 6 09:55:05 BST 2009

On Wednesday 06 May 2009 09:12:55 Dotan Cohen wrote:
> >>but it has long since been deleted and in
> >>reconfiguring I gave the printer a different name.
> >
> > What was the name?
>
> Each time I try to configure it I give it a different name, to avoid
> conflicting with the past erroneous configurations.
>
> > Use
> > lpd://router_address/printer_name
> > and
> > LPD/LPR Host or Printer
> > for configuring the CUPS interface and you should be happy.
>
> For example's sake let's say that I gave the name "hp". Now, I try two
> addresses:
> 1) lpd://router_address/hp
> 2) lpd://router_address/dir-320
>
> Neither work, that is, neither print a thing from CUPS's "print test
> page" feature.

Dotan,
If you are using the dhcp server in the router to assign ip addresses, then I
think that it is safe to assume that you have no name server on your local
network.

If this is the case, then you will most likely be relying on the /etc/hosts to
obtain your ip addresses from a name.

If you were to have a named server in your client.conf such as:
ServerName myRouter

where "myRouter" is defined in your /etc/hosts file to point to the router
itself.

Would that work?

--
Kind regards,