Moving printer configuration from KDE 3 to KDE 4.

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Tue May 5 21:42:51 BST 2009

> Probably one of these:
>>http://192.168.0.1:631/ipp/
>>http://192.168.0.1:631/ipp/port1
>>ipp://192.168.0.1/ipp/
>>ipp://192.168.0.1/ipp/port1
>>lpd://192.168.0.1/queue
>
>>Additionally, I have these protocols to choose from:
>
> Probably one of these:
>>Internet Printing Protocol (http)
>>Internet Printing Protocol (ipp)
>>LPD/LPR Host or Printer

Thanks. I've tried just about every combination, and in all cases I get this:
1) A KDE notificaition that the printer may not be connected every few seconds.
2) Cannot print test pages in the CUPS web control panel.

> You might run:
> nmap -P0 -p80,515,631 router_address
> to help identify when printing protocol is being used.

$ nmap -P0 -p80,515,631 192.168.0.1

Starting Nmap 4.76 ( http://nmap.org ) at 2009-05-05 23:34 IDT
Interesting ports on dir-320 (192.168.0.1):
PORT    STATE  SERVICE
80/tcp  open   http
515/tcp open   printer
631/tcp closed ipp

Nmap done: 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 0.13 seconds

I suppose that "printer" may be LPD but I cannot get that to work.
Also, note that the device is called "dir-320" which was the first
name given to that printer, but it has long since been deleted and in
reconfiguring I gave the printer a different name.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il