KDE menus (Lancelot, Kmenu, Krunner) not respecting PATH?

Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. bss at iguanasuicide.net
Tue May 5 20:30:13 BST 2009

In <gtpvjh$pls$2 at ger.gmane.org>, Matthew Woehlke wrote:
>Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
>> Dotan Cohen wrote:
>>> I have a $HOME/.bin (yes, with the dot) in my PATH:
>>> $ cat .bash_profile
>>> PATH=$HOME/.bin:$PATH
>>> export PATH
>> Why would a .bash_profile affect KDE *at all*?  .bash_profile is used by
>> *bash* to configure the environment for login runs.  If you are starting
>> a KDE session from KDM/XDM/GDM there's no login bash runs involved in
>> the startup.
>I don't think that's universally true, though it probably depends on
>distro and DM.

Yes, I think some distributions misguidedly source .bash_profile and/or
.bashrc at odd times.

Sourcing .bash_profile (or .profile) is a bit dangerous, as they are allowed
to be fully interactive.  On some systems, I have my .bash_profile prompt me
and depending on my response possibly 'exec screen'.

Sourcing .bashrc is less dangerous, since (because of historical problems)
it shouldn't consume input or produce output most of the time.
bss at iguanasuicide.net            	((_/)o o(\_))