Moving printer configuration from KDE 3 to KDE 4.

Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. bss at iguanasuicide.net
Tue May 5 17:05:23 BST 2009

In <880dece00905050628i22ff9dfj2f13dbe4e0699b1f at mail.gmail.com>, Dotan Cohen
wrote:
>> as i recall, one site had several different versions of software for
>> different oem routers. and there was software for various purposes
>> besides just as router.
>
>Is this a joke? An update to KDE on my desktop breaks printing, and
>you suggest changing the operating system running on my router as a
>solution?

It could *be* a solution.  Despite your bias, it may be that the router has
always been "broken" and your previous desktop software was, by chance and
luck, working anyway.  It such a situation, an upgrade might "break" things
because of timing issues, not code changes, and the proper solution is to
fix the router.

I'm not saying that's what is happening here.  In fact, I doubt that is the
case.  However, just because the combination of Xv1 and Y works and Xv2 and
Y doesn't work does not imply that Xv2 is broken.

What I think is happening here is that KDE 4 dropped a lot of KDE 3's
printing infrastructure.  IME, KDE 4 *seems* to depend on a working, local
CUPS setup.  In one of your other messsages you said:

>In KDE 3.5.0 I could enter the IP address of the router as the address
>of the print server and the printer worked fine. Not so in KDE 4.2.2.

(Are you sure it was 3.5.0; I bet it was actually 3.5.6 or above.)

You should be able to configure a print queue on your local cupsd to print
to a remote lpd or cupsd print queue.  Most likely, there is an lpd or cupsd
running on your router.  You should be able to browse to
http://localhost:631 to set this up.  When it asks for the printer / server
IP, you can use the IP of the router.
bss at iguanasuicide.net            	((_/)o o(\_))