KDE 4 (yes, again...): what features are you using?

Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. bss at iguanasuicide.net
Thu Mar 26 14:04:17 GMT 2009

On Thursday 26 March 2009 03:08:40 James Kerr wrote:
>On Wednesday 25 March 2009 Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
>> In the specific case of the systray widget, if I put it on a panel
>> that has no other expandable widgets (e.g. just quick-launch
>> buttons), it doesn't behave as it would have in KDE3/Kicker.
>>
>> In KDE3/Kicker, the systray applet would slowly expand as new items
>> were added and request the panel to expand at the same time.  It
>> would also shrink (and have the panel shrink) when items left it.
>> In KDE 4, when it is the only expandable widget on the panel, it
>> won't shrink when items leave it, even when my panel is set (via
>> sliders) to use the minimum space possible.
>
>This widget solves that problem for me:
>
>http://www.kde-look.org/content/show.php/Panel+Spacer?content=89304

I don't *want* extra space on that panel.  I want it to resize itself to be
exactly the height (it is a vertical panel) of the launcher widget, the
quickstart widgets, (all of which are fixed size), and the systray widget,
which should be just large enough to hold all my systray icons.

The panel should shrink and grow as I either (a) add/remove quickluanch
widgets or (b) start/shutdown programs that use the system tray.
bss at iguanasuicide.net                   ((_/)o o(\_))