KDE 4 (yes, again...): what features are you using?

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Wed Mar 25 22:54:03 GMT 2009

Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Wednesday 25 March 2009 22:03:50 James Richard Tyrer wrote:
>> Anne Wilson wrote:
>> <SNIP>
>>
>>> The only zone that I know that acts like that is the systray - and you
>>> can hide icons in the systray  if you need to make it smaller.
>> I am totally unable to make the systray smaller.  It appears that the
>> default size is 100% (of the panel length) in KDE/Plasma-4 rather than
>> the 0 in KDE/Kicker-3.5
>
> How odd!  On both my Mandriva laptop and F10 netbook the systray expands and
> contracts with the number of icons shown.  LOn the F10 netbook I can get a
> Systray Settings dialogue, from where I can elect to hide some of the icons.
> When I do it retracts to the correct size for the remaining ones.

It only works that way (and, therefore, appears to work correctly) when
you have it in the same panel as the TaskManager.  I find that an
'overhead console' is quite convenient -- or it would be if it wasn't
filled with the SystemTray.  My best guess is that they both have 100%
as the default size but the TaskManager has a higher priority.
Actually, the TaskManager only appears to have 100% as the default
width.  The default height works correctly when it is in a vertical
panel.  However (drifting OT) the digital clock does not work correctly
(4.2.0) in a vertical panel (the height expands to fill the available
space). :-(  Are these really driven by common library functions?

--
JRT

Linux (mostly) From Scratch