KDE 4 (yes, again...): what features are you using?

Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. bss at iguanasuicide.net
Wed Mar 25 22:36:29 GMT 2009

In <49CAAA46.7020705 at acm.org>, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
>Anne Wilson wrote:
>> The only zone that I know that acts like that is the systray - and you
>> can hide icons in the systray  if you need to make it smaller.
>I am totally unable to make the systray smaller.  It appears that the
>default size is 100% (of the panel length) in KDE/Plasma-4 rather than
>the 0 in KDE/Kicker-3.5

I have found a panel setup for each of my systems that works for me.
However, I did notice while I was configuring things that the logic for when
and how much to expand the panels/widgets seems rather broken.  In general,
it does seem to want to be as big as possible, where I much prefer the
sizing to be as small as possible (at least for most widgets).

In the specific case of the systray widget, if I put it on a panel that has
no other expandable widgets (e.g. just quick-launch buttons), it doesn't
behave as it would have in KDE3/Kicker.

In KDE3/Kicker, the systray applet would slowly expand as new items were
added and request the panel to expand at the same time.  It would also
shrink (and have the panel shrink) when items left it.  In KDE 4, when it is
the only expandable widget on the panel, it won't shrink when items leave
it, even when my panel is set (via sliders) to use the minimum space
possible.
bss at iguanasuicide.net            	((_/)o o(\_))