KDE 4 (yes, again...): what features are you using?

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Wed Mar 25 12:09:22 GMT 2009

On Wednesday 25 March 2009, James Richard Tyrer wrote:

> Some of the new library should result in more features and better
> desktop integration.  But, it hasn't really happened yet.  There were
> major issues with the KDE-3 Desktop and Panel, however this does not
> mean that Plasma was needed to fix it.  Plasma clearly isn't there yet
> -- so I wonder if it was a mistake (I see no need for widgets on the
> desktop although I would like a clock like I had in KDE-3 before the
> major regression that made it impossible).  Perhaps not, but a port of
> Kicker/KDesktop would probably have been working by now even with the
> needed major rewrites.

I am pretty sure Plasma was not "needed" to fix it, but it was one of the
options.
It is also true that another option would have been porting Kicker/KDesktop
including necessary rewrites and there are probably further options as well.

One of the deciding factors in choosing a certain option is whether it is
being worked on.

What makes the situation kind of weird is that several people claimed to be
ready to "fork KDE3 and just port it to Qt4", which implies they have several
dozends of developers at hand, yet none of those developers ever attempted to
start porting Kicker or KDesktop?

My personal conclusion is that there are no such developers or that even they
don't want to work on a Kicker/KDesktop port.

Unfortunately this mean we'll never know whether porting those applications
would have resulted in a working solution sooner than it takes Plasma.

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring