How to set up midi devices in KDE 4?

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Wed Mar 25 04:36:19 GMT 2009

Marcelo Magno T. Sales wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In KDE 3.5.x control center, it was possible to configure the midi
> devices KDE should use to play .MID files. However, I can't find where
> to setup this in System Settings in KDE 4.
> So, how to play .MID files in KDE 4 without recurring to applications
> which play midi files using software wavetables, like timidity?
> I also didn't find kmid or an equivalent application in KDE 4.

I presume that you have hardware that can play MIDI files.  I don't so I
always use Timidity.

I don't think that KMID was ported to KDE4.  Actually, I think that the
problem is that it is an orphan app.  I guess that anyone is welcome to
adopt it.

So, if you have the necessary KDE3 libraries, you can still use the KDE3
version with the KDE4 desktop.

--
JRT

Linux (mostly) From Scratch