A few words about the Quality of KDE 4.2

Tue Mar 24 07:08:22 GMT 2009

On Sunday 22 March 2009, Jerry Houston wrote:
> Kevin Krammer wrote:
> > One of KDE's products, so to speak, is a desktop environment for Free
> > Software operating systems (the Window Manager in this case being KWin).
> > Some of the most well known Free Software operating systems are Linux
> > based.
>
> Indeed, and I've even downloaded and installed KDE 4.2.1 on several
> Windows machines.  That experience hasn't been good at all.
> Applications that I'd love to see working, don't.  Even Nautilus fails
> to start, with a message telling me the file system process has stopped.

KDE 4.2.1 worked great on Windows, until my girlfriend wanted to save
something in showfoto. Then the app froze. Bummer. But, hey, it's getting
better, and is only replacing something already fairly-functional.

> I love the ideas behind Linux, and particularly KDE on Linux, but out of
> frustration I find myself returning to professionally-produced operating
> systems for the most part.

Hmmmmm, I can tell that you and I will be at odds. Even saying
"professionally-produced" makes me want to exit this convo.