A few words about the Quality of KDE 4.2

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Mon Mar 23 00:35:25 GMT 2009

On Monday 23 March 2009, Brendan wrote:

> "Linux"? What does KDE have to do with Linux? I thought this mailing list
> was about the Window Manager++ named KDE? Did someone change it to
> representing all of Linuxdom + ALL Window Managers? Why not just use Gnome
> or XFCE or Enlightenment?

One of KDE's products, so to speak, is a desktop environment for Free Software
operating systems (the Window Manager in this case being KWin).
Some of the most well known Free Software operating systems are Linux based.

So I would say that a trail of thought linking KDE and Linux is valid, despite
the same desktop environment being available for other operating systems like
BSD variants or Solaris, its operating system independent application suite
or its multiplatform application development framework.

Of course you are right that bad experience with KDE should not badly reflect
on the image of Linux or vice versa, but if that's the combination someone is
using, then they should be allowed to consider this combination as a whole.

As users with more insight into internals we can distinguish component
failures, others might not,

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring