A few words about the Quality of KDE 4.2

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Sun Mar 22 15:29:13 GMT 2009

On Sunday 22 March 2009, Samuel Kage wrote:

> Please read the previous posts first. It is all about obvious bugs. Bugs
> that you sometimes see at first glance after booting your pc. Or bugs that
> are appearing in common use cases with common hardware. But not bugs that
> don't matter because 99% of the users won't ever see them.

How does one determine that it is an obvious bug and not something related to
the current setup, e.g. new user account or upgrade from a specific version
or packages from a specific vendor?

I have been doing user support for quite some time now and there have been
times when one could perfectly determine the user's distribution and version
just by reading the problem description because it was a bug introduced by
that distributors modifications.

For users of those distribution packages the bug would have been considered
obvious, despite it not existing for anyone else, especially not the
developers of the respective applications.

As a developer I wittnessed bugs that were reliably reproducable by myself but
would not be reproducable on the system of the code's maintainer despite
sitting right beside me at a developer meeting. Turned out it was a specific
item in my data set.

Obvious is obviously a relatively relative term.

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring