A few words about the Quality of KDE 4.2

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Wed Mar 18 18:26:17 GMT 2009

> Yes, KDE has a quality problem.  I say this as someone that has been
> ostracized for advocating that KDE be well designed and well executed.
> One has to wonder about some of the issues in KDE-4.2.1 if the person
> that did the codding has ever used what he wrote the code for.

You are probably referring to Aaron, and yes, he uses Plasma.

> The question is why we still have glaring bugs and instability.

In Suse? Because it is the Suse way to muck with KDE. Vanilla KDE 4.2
is very stable.

> It appears to me that in many cases that basic TQM could solve the
> problems.  For those that don't know what TQM means, it starts with the
> philosophy that the way to have a quality product is to build it
> correctly rather than build it, inspect it, and fix what is wrong.  With
> software, this means that the person writing the code should do basic
> testing before committing the code.

Again, this is a Suse issue and should not be confused with a KDE issue.

> The other question is stability.  While some KDE-4 applications are very
> stable with only a few small bugs.  Plasma is unstable (pre Beta).
> Earle r this week, I created a new panel at the left (my left) of the
> screen.  It was wide so that it could hold the Task Manager and set to
> auto hide and grow from the bottom of the screen.  It seemed to work
> except that there was a problem with the Task Manager not setting the
> proper height for the font.  Then as I sat there doing nothing, it
> changed itself to always visible and growing from the top of the screen.
>  This is not a bug, this is instability.  IMHO, more design work was
> needed at the beginning rather than developing a lot of widgets when it
> appears that there is a general instability in the library.  IAC,
> something this unstable should be called Alpha and should not be in a
> release.

I urge you to try vanilla KDE 4.2. To tell you the truth, I'm not sure
how to do that on Suse. My Suse box is KDE 3.5.10, I only have KDE 4.2
on the Kubuntu Jaunty test machine.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

ا-ب-ت-ث-ج-ح-خ-د-ذ-ر-ز-س-ش-ص-ض-ط-ظ-ع-غ-ف-ق-ك-ل-م-ن-ه‍-و-ي
А-Б-В-Г-Д-Е-Ё-Ж-З-И-Й-К-Л-М-Н-О-П-Р-С-Т-У-Ф-Х-Ц-Ч-Ш-Щ-Ъ-Ы-Ь-Э-Ю-Я
ä-ö-ü-ß-Ä-Ö-Ü