KDE 3.5.10 and KDE 4.2.1 applications /directories

Jay Mistry jaylinux53 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 18 17:55:57 GMT 2009

> On Tuesday 17 March 2009 02:10:46 am Jay Mistry wrote:
>

> > Am using KDE 3.5.10 and KDE 4.2.1 in openSUSE 11.1 (oS 11.1 has option
> > to include both versions of KDE).
> >
> > In KDE 3.5, I find many options from the 'System Settings' (configure
> > System Settings from Main Menu) unavailable (grayed-out), such as
> > customizing KDE Login Manager, Power Management & Screensaver options.
> > My guess is that there is a mix-up somewhere between the KDE 4.2.1 and
> > KDE 3.5.10 directories/application directories, but am not sure what
> > exactly they are ?
>
> I'm using most of the time KDE 3.5.10, but recently started to run often
> KDE
> 4.2.1 in another session, as another user. Having separate user accounts
> for
> for each version keeps settings separated, but inconvenience is, for
> instance
> email handling.
>
> Without snapshot [keyboard PrtScrn] of the settings I can't tell is that a
> bug, or just normal behavior.
>
> For some settings you have to be root user. On such pages there is a button
> at
> the bottom Administrator Mode. Press it, give root password and you can
> change all settings, otherwise you can change only user settings.
> That is the reason that some settings are available only in Administrator
> Mode. For instance Date & Time. You can't set different time for each user.
>
> Internet & Networking > File Sharing, Samba, Service Discovery
> Peripherals > Printers
> System Administration > Date & Time, Font Installer, Login Manager
> Hardware > Printers   (the same one as in Peripherals)
>
> PS.
> This is answer to this and you last mail.
>
> --
> Regards, Rajko

I have some screenshots that demonstrate the problem.

The path is Main Menu (KDE Kicker-Image URL # 1)  >  Personal Settings
(Configure Desktop) [not the KDE4 Menu option]  >  System Administration
(last item in left panel). The option for all the items under 'System
Administration' , viz. -

- Date & Time
- Font Installer
- KDM Theme Manager (screenshot)
- Login Manager

are all grayed-out  (though the screenshot is only of the 'Theme Manager'
tab).

The images are at:

http://i610.photobucket.com/albums/tt183/zmdmw52/Linux_Screenshots/KDE_35_Menu.jpg
(Main Menu)
http://i610.photobucket.com/albums/tt183/zmdmw52/Linux_Screenshots/KDE_35_Version.jpg
(Version of KDE)
http://i610.photobucket.com/albums/tt183/zmdmw52/Linux_Screenshots/KDE_35_Theme_Mgr.jpg(greyed-out
options)

Jay

--
Registered Linux User # 483705  (openSUSE 11.1, Fedora 10)
Smolts Profile: