Lenny & KDE post install

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Tue Mar 17 12:43:43 GMT 2009

On Tuesday 17 March 2009, Allen Meyers wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 17, 2009 at 6:50 AM, Nikos Chantziaras <realnc at arcor.de> wrote:
> > Allen Meyers wrote:
> > > I recently included Debian Lenny in my boot process, I choose netinst
> > > or network install to limit ISO image time & fetch the remaining
> > > packages over the Internet. However I did not see or the KDE choice was
> > > not present. Like in ubuntu is there a terminal command and if so does
> > > it install latest or are there choices like 3.5 etc.

Lenny has KDE 3.5.10

> > Ubuntu is actually Debian-based, so the same commands can be used in
> > both Debian as well as Ubuntu (like aptitude and apt-get).
> >
> > So just like in Ubuntu, you can do:
> >
> >   aptitude search kde
> >
> > to get a list of KDE related packages and:
> >
> >   aptitude install package_name
> >
> > to install it.
>
>    Thank you so much and I appreciate your expedient response

The meta package "kde" will most likely install "all" of KDE, which is quite a
lot :)

When I am installing a desktop system based on the netinst image, I usually
start by installing packages kdebase and kdepim and then individually install
the other applications, e.g. kpdf.

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring