KDE 3.5.10 and KDE 4.2.1 applications /directories

Thierry de Coulon tcoulon at decoulon.ch
Tue Mar 17 08:14:04 GMT 2009

Sorry, kmail again sent it private the first time

On Tuesday 17 March 2009, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> > AFAIK OpenSuSE (and Novell) are phasing KDE 3 out (I read something about
> > no more 3.5.x in 11.2, but that's in 8 month now, according to their new
> > schedule).
>
> The OP was complaining about options unavailable in System Settings,
> which is a KDE4 app.

That's what I meant - SuSE is gradually substituting some parts of KDE 3 with
parts of KDE 4, or mixing them, or their install system does not work
correctly, anyway you get two System settings, and you don't know any more
what is controling what. I have in my "K-menu" both "System settings
(Configure Desktop)" -> kcontrol (KDE 3) and  "System settings (Configure
Desktop)" -> systemsettings (KDE 4). You can start both at the same time and
guess at who controls what. When I run "System settings", I get for some
tools (like Configure the window behaviour) a "shared library not found".

So the whole thing is a mess. They will justify it by the fact that 3.5.x is
in the "other" choice of graphical environments, while the "official"
and "stable" choice is 4.2.

Thierry