A few words about the Quality of KDE 4.2

Frank Weng (a.k.a. Franklin) franklin at goodhorse.idv.tw
Mon Mar 16 23:53:35 GMT 2009

Nikos Chantziaras 在 2009 年 03 月 17 日 Tuesday 07:17:57 時寫道:
> Samuel Kage wrote:
> > Even though I'm really sad about the stability of KDE these days. For
> > explaining why, i want to describe a common use case for me an many many
> > other users.
> >
> > The first thing I notice, after booting up, is the quicklauncher-bug
> > which makes a very often-used part of the desktop nearly unusable because
> > you cant see the small icons.
>
> Can't confirm :P  Works here.

It works here too.  I'm using Mandriva 2009.0 with KDE 4.2.1.

> > Next thing is checking my E-mails and the calendar... The week view in
> > Korganizer is gone (I know its just hidden. But for any normal user its
> > completely broken).
>
> I don't use it so I can't know if it's broken here too.

In my opinion those ``configuration problems'' are actually not problems,
unless the configurations were sometimes changed automatically - for example,
my Akregator.

> > Then i maybe get a message in kopete. That looks very unsmooth, if your
> > panel is aligned to center and not over the whole screen, cause the
> > appearing message button in the systray moves all other plasmoids in the
> > panel around. Once when it appears and once when it disappears (very
> > often).
>
> I use KMess 2 so I also can't check here.

I used both KMess2 and Kopete, both ok.  But my panel was at the screen
bottom, and width the whole screen.

> > Now I want to hear music... When starting Amarok I often get a message:
> > The device M-Audio***** (My sound card) is not working.
>
> Never happened here.

It happened at my home PC sometimes (not always).  Usually I would reboot it
again and it was OK.

> > When I'm done and want to shut down the pc the last thing that always
> > happens is a plasma crash these days. (last month it was a Kontact crash)
> > which prevents the computer from shutting down.
>
> I never had a crash here with 4.2.1.  The last time I had one was with
> 4.1.3.

Sometimes I got Plasma crashed.  But it recovered soon and hence not a problem
to me.  (I really appreciated it!)

> > Overall its partly no smooth experience to use KDE these days and I
> > really don't understand why such things happen.
>
> No idea.  Here, it's very smooth and those things don't happen :P

Bugs and weird things always happen.  Even when I used KDE 3.5 they happened
too. KDE 4.2 was pretty good for me to do my daily work.  It also entertained
me and my boys at home.

Now one thing that bothered me is: when logging into KDE, SOMETIMES (again,
not always) my KMail would not launch without any error messages.  Do you have
similar experiences?

Franklin