Upgrade to Qt 4.5

Nikos Chantziaras realnc at arcor.de
Sat Mar 7 14:07:52 GMT 2009

Nathan England wrote:
> Is Qt 4.5 worth the hassle of recompiling everything?

Mainly performance and very good font rendering (fonts were looking very
thin and with color artifacts in Qt 4.4 and older, especially with white
fonts on dark backgrounds).

I'm running 4.2.1 with Qt 4.5.0.  I didn't encounter any problems yet
(there were problems with 4.2.0 + Qt 4.5 but for me, 4.2.1 fixed them
all).  But before recompiling, you might want to make a backup first so
you can easily revert back in case you hit a bug.  If you're on Gentoo,
you can use the "quickpkg" tool to create binary packages of the
currently installed packages so you can downgrade later without recompiling.