Dolphin startup folder

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Fri Mar 6 19:40:45 GMT 2009

Peter Lewis wrote:
> On Friday 06 Mar 2009 James Richard Tyrer sent:
>
>> Peter Lewis wrote:
>>> Dolphin always starts in ~/Documents but I would prefer it to start at
>>> the root of my home directory.
>>>
>>> I have tried every way that I can find to change this, Dolphin
>>> Preferences - Startup is set to my home folder, but it will not budge
>>> from Documents.
>>>
>>> Please help, its driving me nuts.
>> Ahhhhh?  Did you try the configuration dialog (KCM) in Dolphin:
>>
>> 	Settings -> Configure Dolphin
>>
>> in the Dolphin menu.
>
> Yes, that invokes the "Dolphin Preferences" dialogue mentioned above. I set
> the startup to my home folder but it still comes up in ~/Documents

This is a bug then -- but it appears to be your bug, since it works
correctly for me in 4.2.1.  I suggest that you upgrade and see if that
resolves the problem.

Possible source of the problem is that to make this change, you have to
have ownership & write permission to: $HOME/.kde4/share/config (7??).

Check the file: $HOME/.kde4/share/config/dolphinrc and see what:

	[General]
	HomeUrl=

is set to.

There is another possibility, although I can't reproduce it.  KDE-4 does
use the XDG User Directories and it is possible that this is what is
causing the problem.

--
JRT

Linux (mostly) From Scratch