Nepomuk/Strigi filled my disk

Randy Kramer rhkramer at gmail.com
Thu Mar 5 19:05:57 GMT 2009

On Thursday 05 March 2009 01:51 pm, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Thursday 05 March 2009 17:54:23 Randy Kramer wrote:
> > I have a line like the following in my (well, actually my root)
crontab
> > (currently for once a day execution).  (Clearly, if it was needed,
it
> > could be run more often):
> >
> > echo "Cleared on $(date) by $USER cron"
>  /home/<user>/.xsession-errors
> > This seems to immediately reduce the size of the crontab file
without
> > rebooting or killing X.
> As far as I can see a new file is created at each login.

Anne,

Thanks for the response!

Ahh, my (main) machine is on 24 hours a day and I never log out, so I
needed something to empty the file without logging in / out.

> tail -50 .xsession-errors > .xsession-errors.sav would put those 50
lines into
> a text file.

Thanks, that's the part about tail(ing) I didn't understand.  Seems like
(without trying it) it should work just like the ">" I'm using.

> That's what I should have done, instead of just letting it
> overwrite itself.

Randy Kramer
--
I didn't have time to write a short letter, so I created a video
instead.--with apologies to Cicero, et.al.