Nepomuk/Strigi filled my disk

Martin (KDE) kde at fahrendorf.de
Thu Mar 5 10:14:49 GMT 2009

Anne Wilson schrieb:
> On Thursday 05 March 2009 08:25:38 Martin (KDE) wrote:
>
>> Hallo Anne
>>
>> strigi writes its database to ~/.strigi (afaik).
>>

> I don't have that directory at all.
>

>> As I have disabled
>> strigi (my home directory is on a nfs server and indexing via network is
>> damn slow and makes my network almost unusable) I currently can not check.
>>

> I found the same, until I found that nicing it to 19 made it work 'nicely' in
> the background.

It is not much a problem of the cpu performance. strigi/nepomuk database
has several hundred of megabytes and transfer over a 100MBit network
takes some minutes (as my home directory is on the server via network -
so is the strigi/nepomuk database). Strigi and similar may be good for
single host (even connected via network) but in its current
configuration it is bad for a full networked installation as diskless or
semi-diskless systems. In the future we need a distributed strigi or
similar.

Martin