kdeprint in kde 4

Rick Miles frmrick at aapt.net.au
Wed Mar 4 21:29:43 GMT 2009

On Thursday 05 March 2009 07:16:15 Rick Miles wrote:
> On Thursday 05 March 2009 04:22:10 James Richard Tyrer wrote:
> > Rick Miles wrote:
> > <SNIP>
> >
> > > You might note a previous post of mine today where I could not print a
> > > pdf with okular as it asks me what filter to use and then won't do
> > > anything with any of those offered for selection.
> >
> > That is very strange.  I have KDE-4.2.1 from source and all I can say is
> > that it works OK for me.  However, if you have >= 4.2.0, I would report
> > it as a bug.
>
> Check my previous reply to you, I'm not quite sure if we are comparing
> apples to apples, perhaps my qt isn't up to yours.
>
> > > I'm only interested in a pdf reader which IMHO kpdf did a better job of
> > > for me than acroread, Dunno about the "more features" I just want
> > > three: view, preview and print. Small and simple is nice.
> >
> > I see your point and with people using Dolphin, we do need an app that
> > is basically just a frame for the KParts.  I would suggest that if you
> > just need the basic functions that you use the Okular part in Konqueror
> > rather than opening the app.
>
>  Anything will do for a reader I suppose but yesterday I was revising a
> flyer, checking to see if the edits were in the revised pdf and then
> checking the print preview before printing.  Kpdf seemed to produce a
> better facsimili of a pdf both as a reader then as a print preview so I can
> live without it but I have not figured out why it is asking me what filter
> to use. It don't know and neither do I.
>
> > > I really could care less whether I use kooka or not if the replacement,
> > > scanlite, has some documentation so maybe I can figure out how to get
> > > it to see my networked scanner which xsane has no problem doing and it
> > > to uses the sane backend.
> >
> > Won't help you now, but if it doesn't find your networked scanner,
> > report the bug.
>
> I'm not sure it is a bug maybe a limitation (no Fud intended Anne) but I
> have found the problem.
>
> Scanlite is a frontend for sane and the utiltiy sane-find-scanner does not
> see my scanner although I can use the sane cli command "scanimage -L", i.e.
> list, to identify my scanner:
>
> rick at rick:~$ scanimage -L
> device `net:192.168.1.4:hpaio:/usb/PSC_2350_series?serial=MY493C10JCKJ' is
> a Hewlett-Packard PSC_2350_series all-in-one
>
> I'd quess that skanlite parses the ouput of sane-find-scanner to create a
> list of scanner device(s) and so it will not open for me because
> sane-find-scanner does not list my networked scanner.
>
> However, I can open skanlite and scan if I run this command in konsole:
>
> skanlite -d
> net:192.168.1.4:hpaio:/usb/PSC_2350_series?serial=MY493C10JCKJ' is a
> Hewlett-Packard PSC_2350_series all-in-one
>
> Thats fine and dandy but it Thats cli and one of those unmemorable commands
> so if I want to take the easy way out its a matter of editing the skanlite
> in kmenuedit so that the command entry looks like this:

> [...]

This ubuntu bug report didn't show up in the first couple pages when I did a
search using www.google.com/linux but it was on the first page using
www.google.com.au. It would've saved me some time.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/skanlite/+bug/311953

Obviously a skanlite problem no matter what desktop as I believe ubuntu is gnome
and kubuntu kde.

--
Cheers,

Rick Miles

Written on Prickle-Prickle, the 64th of Chaos, 3175
http://turtlespond.net
http://rickmiles.com.au