document path as download target?

Sascha Peilicke sasch.pe at gmx.de
Fri Jun 26 11:24:55 BST 2009

On Friday 26 June 2009 10:04:13 Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Thursday 25 June 2009 23:25:29 James Richard Tyrer wrote:
> > Sascha Peilicke wrote:
> > > Hi y'all,
> > >
> > > In the "About Me" KCM several paths can be set and I did as following:
> > >
> > > Documents path: /home/foo/documents
> > > Download path: /home/foo/download
> > >
> > > Strange is that when I want to save a file (from konq, kmail, etc.) the
> > > file dialog shows the documents path by default. Seems like it should
> > > point to the download path instead. The question is what's the meaning
> > > of the documents path here and how it should be used in general (e.g.
> > > used as a saving target for koffice and similar apps) or whether this
> > > is a bug.
> >
> > What version of KDE-4 are you using.  When asking a question such as
> > this, it is a good idea to include that information.
> >
> > I tried this in Trunk and it does still select Documents as the default.
> >
> > IMO, this is a bug.  The function: "KGlobalSettings::downloadPath" has
> > been added to KDELibs::KDEUI and it should be used.
>
> I don't see this as a bug at all.  I certainly don't see attachments to
> mail as in the same class as Internet downloads.  Why do you think they
> should be treated the same?
Because after all, there downloads, speak not present on my computer but going
to be. I always have to move files into a more appropriate place after
downloading (in folders for movies, pictures, etc.). People have different
opinions on what documents really are. To me this is everything text-like
(e.g. produced by koffice, openoffice, ...), you might argue that everything
is a document somehow. The question is then why we have "Document path",
"Movie path", "Download path" and all the others if everything happens to land
in "Document path" anyway?

At least konq should respect the "Download path" by default and not use the
"Document path" IMHO.
--
Sascha Peilicke
http://saschpe.wordpress.com