Printer support in KDE 4.3

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Fri Jun 12 23:56:52 BST 2009

Dotan Cohen wrote:
> On the Phoronix forums it has been asked:
>
> "
> The release notes do not mention it. Can someone be so kind as to
> provide feedback about:
> 1) Whether a "kdeprint" like application has been integrated to allow
> printer control from legacy apps

There is no KPrinter for KDE-4 therefore, there is no "kprinter" command
to replace "lpr" in non-KDE apps.

> 2) Whether the print dialog has been enhanced to allow for odd-even
> page selection that is indispensable to do 2 sided printing on
> non-duplexing printers?

Developers are saying that this must go into Qt.  This seems like an
unrealistic idea to me.

I would like to see a KPrinter that was similar to the print manager in
OO (at least add the features, but some people seem to dislike it (I
can't figure out why).

--
James Tyrer

Linux (mostly) From Scratch