KDE 4.0

Patricia Max pam at lampinc.com
Sun Jun 7 18:09:40 BST 2009

Hi,

I recently installed Fedora Core 9 on my computer, including KDE 4.  I
have been using KDE 3 for more than several years, and I am very
comfortable with the appearance of my desktop.  I'd like to configure
KDE 4 to resemble KDE 3 as much as possible.  This includes my own
background setting, no menu bar at the top of the screen, the type of
console I'm used to (a shell, white background, black type, probably
about 24 lines),  the panel at the bottom with a white background, etc.
One reason for this is because I have vision problems so I am not
comfortable with the harsher, darker colors.  I am not sure of some of
the terminology so I apologize if I'm using some incorrect words.

Is there some sort of "conversion" manual that would help me sort out
what I need to change to more closely emulate what I see with KDE 3.0?
Also, the system I installed did not have the command kcontrol.  Is that
no longer supported?  If not then, what command do I use in place of
kcontrol?  The help documentation references kcontrol, but it's not
there.  Finally, is there a way to preserve my original configuration?
Because I installed Fedora 9 on a separate disk partition, it was very
easy for me to boot back to 6, but it took some time to restore my
original KDE environment.  I would like to preserve those files

I know there are a number of questions in my email.  Thanks for any help
you can give me.

Patricia Max