Kuickshow in KDE4

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Sat Jun 6 10:51:14 BST 2009

On Saturday 06 June 2009 09:59:51 Sven wrote:
> On Saturday 06 June 2009, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
> > Sven wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > About 6 month ago there were some posting about Kuickshow in this
> > > maillist. Has there been any progress in porting Kuickshow to KDE4 ? I
> > > have search the net but not found anything.
> >
> > Well, they fired the developer that has been asked to look into it. :-)
> >
> > Basically, it appears to me that if the wanted features can be added to
> > GwenView that that would be a better alternative.
> >
> > Note that porting Kuickshow will not be a simple task since it will
> > require two ports.  The GUI would need to be ported from Qt-3 to QT-4
> > and the image rendering would need to be ported from Imlib-1 to
> > something else.  It uses Imlib-1 which is an orphan and the current
> > Imlib-2 is not a compatible library.  Or, we could use kimgio (and some
> > KolourPaint code if needed).
> >
> > Are there specific features that you are looking for?
> >
> > I would like to have Gamma adjustment and color TV like controls
> > (Brightness and Contrast, etc.).  The way these are implemented in
> > KuickShow could use some improvement -- spinbox with slider:
> >
> >                    ______
> > <-------I------> |______|
> >
> > would be better IMHO.
>
> To bad. I liked the speed and simplicity of Kuickshow. Opens fast, simple:
> press 9 to rotate, b for brightness (to me the two most needed feature for
> browsing) and page up-down for browsing through pictures. Gwenview do all
> these things as well just clumsier and too many features when browsing is
> the only purpose. Also, controling the software without using the mouse was
> a big plus.
>
> Having used Kuickshow for years it seems like I will have to change to some
> other software. Is perhaps KView the most similar choice ?

There is a version of kuickshow for kde4, but the version I have is incomplete
(not all distros are shipping it yet).  It also has problems displaying with
my graphics card.  Since I have only just installed it I haven't had time yet
to discover whether this is fixable.  The shortcuts you mention seem to be
there, from browsing the settings menu.

Maybe it's best to install the kde3 version for just a bit longer, then try
the kde4 version.  OTOH, you could install the new version and watch for the
updates that will add functionality.  Your choice.

Anne