KDE 4.2: "up" key doesn't work

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Fri Jul 17 03:31:41 BST 2009

Tomasz Chmielewski <mangoo at wpkg.org> posted 4A5F8146.1080009 at wpkg.org,
excerpted below, on  Thu, 16 Jul 2009 21:36:38 +0200:

> Accidentally, I made an interesting "discovery".
>
> I made:
>
> mv /usr/lib64/kde4/kded_khotkeys.so
> /usr/lib64/kde4/kded_khotkeys.so.orig
>
> And now the "up" key works after each restart or cold boot.
>
> Could be an accident, but reverting the change makes the "up" key not
> working again.

You've checked that the "up" key isn't assigned to anything in khotkeys,
right?  Maybe changing its config file (which I can find but am lazy
right now) between the working and non-working configs, to see if that's
what's triggering it?

The combination of this and the evdev bit, are "interesting".  I'm
wondering if khotkeys4 is using ksyms, etc, differently or more directly
than khotkeys3 did?  It would explain some other issues khotkeys4 has,
too, like the lack of global multikey support that was there in khotkeys3.

Here, I'm looking at switching to a third party hotkeys app, as global
multikey hotkeys are essential to the way I navigate my desktop on kde3
and one of the blockers I have to overcome before kde4 will be working
for me.  (See the existing threads on the subject, check the archives if
necessary.  FWIW, I use gmane.org's list2news services for the lists/
groups, thus both having list archives available and avoiding the extra
mail traffic.  But they have a web version available as well, and then
there's the normal kde web version archive.)  If it's giving you this
sort of issue, but you still need the hotkeys functionality, perhaps a
third party replacement will be your solution as well.