KDE 4.2: "up" key doesn't work

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Thu Jul 16 20:15:24 BST 2009

Tomasz Chmielewski <mangoo at wpkg.org> posted 4A5F7263.3090007 at wpkg.org,
excerpted below, on  Thu, 16 Jul 2009 20:33:07 +0200:

>> Since the upgrade to KDE 4.2, "up" key on the keyboard doesn't work for
>> me (i.e., I can't search back bash history with "up" key, I can't
>> scroll the website rendered in Firefox with the "up" key etc.).
>>
>> "xev", when started, recognizes pressed "Up" key.
>>
>> The key works *sometimes* for me if I start KDE4's "systemsettings" and
>> disable khotkeys daemon (note that it can't be really disabled; it will
>> be enabled if you start systemsettings again, even though you just
>> disabled it), then log out and log in again. After the very next login,
>> "up" key won't work again (unless you disable khotkeys daemon is system
>> settings, log out, log in...).
>>
>> The "up" key works fine in KDM (i.e. to pick/change users).
>>
>> What's interesting, I don't have this problem for a couple of existing
>> users (for some existing, I do have this problem).
>>
>> This problem also concerns newly created user after a couple of
>> logouts/logins.
>>
>> Any hints what might be wrong? It's really annoying.
>
> I didn't mention that, but it only happens if I use:
>
> - evdev keyboard
> - user autologin in kdm
>

> Also in alpha releases of KDE 4.3.
>
> Any hints on how to fix it will be appreciated.

I was going to say... that sounds an awful lot like an evdev issue.  They
did some xorg keysym, etc remapping (I know xorg keysym is the area, but
don't know it well enough without spending some time (re)reading about it
to know if that's the specifically accurate term) that had certain apps
going haywire over it.  In particular, it was apps using certain X
extensions that had the most issues.

Unfortunately, I don't know a whole lot more about it.  But maybe that'll
help point you in the right direction.  The only other thing I could
suggest would be filing a bug with your distribution, and switching back
to the kbd driver instead of evdev, until it's sorted (or not use
autologin).  Well, that, and see if you find any kdebugs on it that might
have hints.