Plasma documentation for KDE 4.3

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Thu Jul 16 12:31:42 BST 2009

Martin Koller <kollix at aon.at> posted 200907152306.23888.kollix at aon.at,
excerpted below, on  Wed, 15 Jul 2009 23:06:19 +0200:

> I'm currently migrating from being a longterm KDE3 user to KDE 4.3. So I
> want to find out: what can KDE4, especially Plasma, offer me I had not
> in KDE3 ?

Hi.  I'm in the same boat, switching, ATM.

This isn't intended to be negative as there's some great stuff in kde4,
but I will say, keeping an open mind is vital, as there's some BIG
changes, and some things just can't be done quite like they were in kde3.

FWIW, it's my opinion that the kde3 power-users, those who had customized
it and used its capacities to the fullest, or at least way beyond what an
ordinary user does, are the ones really hurting as they try to change to
kde4, because the customizations don't work the same and some of the
power-user tricks from kde3 don't work at all in kde4.  Of course, kde4
has its own tricks, and what's great about it is that many of them are
more exposed to the ordinary user, so most ordinary users really like it,
because they can do so much more.  But for those who knew and used the
power-user tricks in kde3, there's a lot more pain as they try to adjust
to the new way of doing things.

Just a couple quick examples to give you an idea what I'm talking about.
(a) If you used khotkeys in multikey mode in kde3, that doesn't yet work
in kde4.  I used that HEAVILY here, and it looks like I'll have to switch
to a non-kde hotkey applet now, as the kde4 version doesn't do global
multi-key hotkeys any longer. (b) If you have heavily tweaked and
customized your kde3 color scheme, there wasn't a way to convert it to
kde4 until literally /just/ /yesterday.  But kde4 has a much richer color
setup than kde3 did, so while there's a tool to help now, it's not going
to be an exact conversion, as that's simply not possible.

If you get stuck on something that used to work on kde3, try checking the
list archives, as there's several threads dealing with various things.
In particular, check the "KDE 3 users: What are the last of the KDE 3
features missing from KDE 4?" thread, started a few days ago, as that's
the thread where everything's being listed.  Some items there will say to
see other threads, but they're all being listed there.

But as I said, there's a whole lot MORE that kde4 does now, and with the
new framework, there's a lot of room to grow that kde3 didn't have, so
it's getting even more new features faster than kde3 had done for quite
some time.  So while some stuff doesn't work the same way and will take
some getting used to, or even using a non-KDE solution like it appears
I'll be doing for my multi-key hotkeys, most folks should look back and
be glad they did the conversion, once they get thru with it. =:^)

> E.g. in the bottom panel I see an icon telling me "Show the
> Plasma Dashboard" ... but I have no idea what a "Plasma Dashboard" is,
> and clicking on it just dims my whole desktop and leaves the icons on
> the desktop in normal colors ... But what can I do here ?
>
> Also the idea behind the activities is not obvious to me (e.g. what's
> the difference to virtual desktops ?).

Probably some of the best documentation for plasma right now is Aaron
Seigo's blog.  He's the lead plasma dev, and his blog talks it (and kde4
in general) up, showing various tricks, etc.  A lot of it is "big
picture" and he's already blogging some 4.4 stuff, but it sounds like you
could use some of the big picture stuff right now, at least to get your
head around what the big idea is, and some of the flexibility now
available in kde4 both to developers, and as they take advantage of it,
to users as well.

http://aseigo.blogspot.com/

There's 26 plasma posts, it says.  Check the right side labels list.

Here's one of interest, a plasma 4.3 screencast!  There's a torrent link
in the post, and there's a youtube link in the comments, if you prefer

http://aseigo.blogspot.com/2009/06/kde-43-plasma-overview-screencast.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9U3SpWmI2c

Also big-picture, you may wish to google-linux, kde pillars:

http://www.google.com/linux?lr=lang_en&hl=en&q=kde+pillars

This one's on the above google list, but it's worth mentioning on its
own.  Yeah, it's somewhat developer focused, but it's a good read for non-
dev power-users, too.  The intro covers one of the "big deals" about
plasma, that it integrates what were in kde3, multiple different
components, kdesktop itself, the kicker panels, kmenu, and krunner (the
run dialog).  From IBM-DeveloperWorks:

Introducing KDE 4 plasmoids
http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-kde-plasmoids/index.html

Meanwhile, to answer your specific current questions:

One of the ideas began elsewhere, Google's desktop widgets, Apple/OSX's
dashboard, etc, that KDE/Plasma took and ran with, is integrating all
sorts of informational applets, weather, Internet Atom/RSS feeds, weather
applets, stock tickers, new-mail notifiers, IM/IRC widgets, sticky-notes,
system status applets, all sorts of other stuff as people experiment with
and expand the concept, on the "dashboard", sort of the desktop, but
anything /but/ the /traditional/ basically static desktop, with its few
basically static icons.  In fact, another option is "folder view", a
container with a bunch of icons, but now instead of just one, you can
have several of them, with each one pointed at a different directory on
your disk, or even on other machines on the network, etc.

Of course, one of the first problems with this idea is that the desktop
is normally behind everything else.  Of course, there was kde3's (and
Windows 98's and... and...) desktop button, which effectively minimized
everything else, getting you back to the desktop.  And on kde3 and many
other desktop environments, one also had multiple "virtual desktops",
etc, and it was easy to switch between them.

But this desktop-view (desktop centric world-view) was limited in some
ways.  The dashboard concept, then expanded to activities, aims to
eliminate those limitations, expanding the concept in new ways.

Actually, as far back as Windows 3.1, I remember running a third party
application (Power Desktop or some such thing, of course that's been over
a decade and a half ago now, so the details have faded a bit) that was an
early version of the concept, and I'm sure it wasn't the first.  The
thing it did that was so neat, that we're only now getting back to, is
that it had access to its various icon groups and widgets on a separate
layer -- they were NO LONGER "stuck" to the desktop.  You could alt-tab
(IDR whether it was actually that, or a different key sequence, but
anyway) to the "widget layer" -- the widgets would then float ABOVE the
traditional windowed apps on the desktop, instead of BELOW them.

That's the general concept here, as well, tho as you I'm just switching
myself, so am not so familiar with the implementation yet, but I've been
reading about the concepts since Aaron and others were blogging about and
doing mockups of their ideas before anyone could even run apps on the new
framework that was to become kde4.

Anyway, the idea is to make what was the former static desktop into a
much more dynamic place, where people can put the stuff they'd have
formerly put in auto-hide or not-always-on-top panels, in kde3, while
making it far more accessible at the same time, so all those new applets
are easy to get to, pretty much like another layer of the application
stack that can be alt-tabbed to like any other app, but with dedicated
functions instead of just in the alt-tab stack.  Plus, since the panels
and the desktop are elements of the same thing, the plasma applets can
move from one to the other and back, with ease.

So that's the general idea behind plasma, at the single activity level,
anyway.  So what IS this activity thing?  Well, the idea there is to do
something parallel with the dashboard and plasma, to what virtual
desktops does with the idea of a single desktop.  Each of these different
dashboards can be setup differently.  For example, consider a laptop,
with one dashboard setup with folder views of various machines at work,
another with views of various home machines, a third for use in transit
where there's little or no connectivity, and a fourth with public
Internet accessible widgets, for use at say a conference, or at home or
work when doing the Internet thing.  Then one can switch between these
"activities" (for that's what one very quickly appreciates them as) much
as one can switch between virtual desktops, each setup with its own set
of apps.  However, what Aaron and the other KDE devs are hoping, is that
once this is actually deployed, it'll become far bigger than the sum of
its parts, and people will be doing stuff with it that we really can't
predict at this point, because we've not worked with it, and don't know
the strengths and limitations of an actual real-world implementation.
Once those are known, the hope is that people will take it to places and
do stuff with it nobody has yet dreamed of.

(You'll see one idea they're playing with on Aaron's blog, if you read
enough of it.  They're taking little bluetooth enabled embedded
applications boards, say with temp, humidity, etc sensors, and having
them setup so as soon as you walk in the room, if you're computer's
configured for it, a plasmoid will popup with the sensor info, etc.
Similarly with wifi or bluetooth enabled printers, etc, or networked ones
when you plug in the Ethernet cable.  You walk into their vicinity and
the plasmoid pops up with paper and ink status, etc.  You walk away, and
the plasmoid disappears, perhaps to be replaced by others as you walk
into other rooms, etc.  Consider what this could do with a house wired
with a MythTV setup, etc.  Consider just carrying such a wireless enabled
device around, as a remote...  There's all sorts of idea like this that
can be explored, and they're hoping even more we can't even imagine yet,
as the practical possibilities make themselves apparent.  Of course, the
flip side would be walking down the street and having plasmoid ads
popping up to annoy you -- but OTOH, imagine craving a coffee and being
able to flip an option and go from no ads allowed, to only allowing
coffee shops or more broadly, all food and beverage shops, ads thru.  Of
course, they've been talking about this on cell phones for awhile too,
and the idea isn't entirely new.  But in the context of activities,
perhaps you could have a "street shopping" activity...  Obviously,
there's security, and simply environmental noise factors, to consider
here, as well.)

That's the idea, anyway.  I'm not actually running 4.3 yet, since it's
not released in full form (I tried and had my fill of pre-release earlier
in the kde4 cycle, and decided I had to wait until the kde4 basics
stabilized substantially further before I tried /that/ again), but 4.2
barely had activities working as they were envisioned, at all.  4.3 is
supposed to be somewhat better in that regard, but they'll still not be
full bloom yet.  4.4 should be where they really start coming into their
own.  But since you're already moving to 4.3-rcs, you'll actually be able
to play with stuff I've only read about, and won't get until the full
4.3.0 release around the end of this month.

Hope that answers your questions, and opens your mind to the
possibilities... and many more questions! =:^)

(No, this level of detail... and length... isn't unusual at all for my