KDE 3 users: What are the last of the KDE 3 features missing from KDE 4?

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Thu Jul 16 00:51:17 BST 2009

Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo at gmail.com> posted
58965d8a0907150854o310cd1eeh50ecede565e285ec at mail.gmail.com, excerpted
below, on  Wed, 15 Jul 2009 10:54:57 -0500:

> Have you tried different AccelMethod values in your xorg.conf? I had
> very very very slow 2D performance (no compositing enabled) on my laptop
> and changing the AccelMethod to EXA gave me a huge increase in speed.

Not the OP, but with a similar issue.  I'm using EXA on kde3 and it works
well -- very little slowdown at all.  On kde4, rather different, MUCH
slower.  Of course I had tried XAA long time ago, and it's DEFINITELY
slower, but that's not the issue here.  (And I'm on Radeon and UXA is
Intel-only ATM so that's not an option available to try.)

BTW in a different thread I mentioned that I didn't know whether it was
plasma or kwin4 that was the problem.  Well, I'm running kwin4 now on my
base kde3 desktop, and it seems to be fine, so what's dragging everything
down is likely plasma, or a bad interaction between two kde4 components.
I'll have to try switching out kdesktop and kicker for plasma, next,
switching back to kwin3, and see how that works...